E-Learning Opportunities for Coaches
Coach Initiation in Sport
Coach Initiation in Sport is an online NCCP module developed to introduce new or experienced coaches to the foundational skills in coaching, such as: long-term athlete development, ethics, coaching motivation, and athlete safety and wellness.
This module is a valuable resource for:
• Parents new to coaching
• New coaches
• Experienced coaches new to the NCCP
• Athletes transitioning to coaching
• Experienced NCCP coaches who need professional development, or a refresh on the fundamental principles of the NCCP
• Sport administrators who work with the NCCP and coach development
The cost is $15 dollars and should take approximately 1 hour to complete.
The on-line module can be located here: https://thelocker.coach.ca/onlinelearning#CIS-E
Making Head Way
This module is designed to help you gain the knowledge and skills required to ensure the safety of your athletes, these NCCP Professional Development modules will make you concussion smart.
This module should take you approximately 60-90 minutes. Once completed it will be added to your locker account to your coaching transcript. The module will be counted towards your professional development points.
The on-line module can be located here: https://thelocker.coach.ca/onlinelearning#MHW
Coaching Athletes with a Disability
This training provides coaches the knowledge to deliver quality, positive sport experiences for athletes, specifically with behavioural, intellectual, physical, and sensory disabilities.
Coaching Athletes with a Disability NCCP training will provide coaches the ability to:
• Explain the benefits of sport participation for persons with a disability;
• Communicate effectively and respectfully with, and regards to, persons with a disability;
• Design positive, safe, and inclusive sport experiences for persons with a disability; and
• Consider next steps in their professional development related to coaching persons with a disability.
The cost is $15 and should take approximately 45 minutes to complete.
The on-line module can be located here: https://thelocker.coach.ca/onlinelearning#CAWAD-E
NCCP Sport Nutrition
This training provides coaches the knowledge to deliver healthy eating tips and guidelines to parents and athletes. This is important for athletic performance and maintaining a healthy lifestyle outside of sport.
After completing NCCP Sport Nutrition, coaches will be able to:
• Explain the basic nutritional needs of an athlete.
• Take appropriate measures to ensure that athletes stay hydrated during exercise.
• Educate athletes on the use of nutritional supplements and sports drinks.
• Encourage a positive body image in athletes.
• Identify the different types of disordered eating.
• Support athletes with special nutritional needs.
• Identify common food allergies and intolerances.
• Provide accurate guidance to athletes and their parents or caregivers on nutrition before, during and after exercise.
• Provide accurate nutritional guidance to athletes and their parents or caregivers before and during travel.
The cost is $20 and should take between 40-60 minutes to complete. Coaches who complete this module will receive 5 professional development points.
The on-line module can be located here: https://thelocker.coach.ca/onlinelearning#SN-E
Keeping Girls in Sport
This training provides coaches with the knowledge to create a safe and respectful environment for female athletes, which will ultimately lead to female athletes enrolled in sport long-term. The course will provide knowledge that will lead to female athletes having success on the field of play, as well, having success off the field of play. This course also provides tools that will help young girls overcome the unique barriers they face- physical fitness, healthy body weight, and emotional well-being. The goal for coaches should be to motivate young girls to stay active during adolescene and throughout their entire life.
The cost is $17 and should take approximately 90 minutes to complete. Coaches who complete this module will receive 2 professional development points.
The on-line module can be located here: https://jumpstart-kgis.respectgroupinc.com/.
*Information from above as well as additional e-learning information can be found on coach.ca under coach training and e-learning opportunities. You can register for an NCCP # or login to your locker account by visiting https://thelocker.coach.ca/account/login?ReturnUrl=%2f.